CHICAGO – July 3, 2012 – Demonstrating its passion for food, Tate & Lyle assembled its culinary and pastry chefs, applications and technical service experts, and nutrition scientists to share up-to-the-minute food and beverage trends designed to help manufacturers turn brainstorms into winning consumer products at the International Food Technologists Food Expo in Las Vegas.
Visitors to booth No. 2501 spoke with food and beverage experts to determine how to tackle some of their most pressing development challenges, including creating great-tasting foods and beverages and reducing sweetening costs.
At this year’s Food Expo, Tate & Lyle featured concepts that demonstrated how it can collaborate with processors to develop great-tasting ingredient recipes that meet their formulation needs, including:
· Black Raspberry Greek Yogurt. A frozen yogurt that was sweetened with KRYSTAR® Crystalline Fructose and PUREFRUIT™ Select Monk Fruit Extract reduced sugars and calories. The concept also offered a good source of fiber with PROMITOR™ Soluble Corn Fiber.
· Brownie Topped with Salted Caramel Sauce. Guilt-free indulgence was made possible with a custom blend of SPLENDA® Sucralose and KRYSTAR® Crystalline Fructose to reduce sugars by 25 percent and calories by 12 percent when compared to a full-sugar brownie. PROMITOR™ Soluble Corn Fiber delivered a good source of fiber in each serving without affecting the taste and texture that consumers expect.
· Cranberry Raspberry Juice Drink. With a synergistic blend of great-tasting KRYSTAR® Crystalline Fructose and SPLENDA® Sucralose sweeteners, the Cranberry Raspberry Juice Drink featured a 19 percent reduction in sweetening costs and a 20 percent reduction in calories and sugars when compared to a full-sugar version.
· Orange Carbonated Soft Drink. This concept featured Tate & Lyle’s new MIRA-MIST® SE starch to achieve an excellent flavor emulsion with improved cost-in-use. It also was sweetened with KRYSTAR® Crystalline Fructose and PUREFRUIT™ Monk Fruit to deliver a 25 percent reduction in sugars and calories.
· Sweet Chili Sauce. This sauce was sweetened with SPLENDA® Sucralose and KRYSTAR® Crystalline Fructose, and contained 50 percent less sugar and 30 percent less calories than a full-sugar version. It also included PROMITOR™ Soluble Corn Fiber for an excellent source of fiber in each serving.
· Korean BBQ Sauce. Sweet and savory, the Korean BBQ Sauce featured Tate & Lyle’s VICO™ SSD in a seasoning system and only 45 calories per serving.
To help grow food and beverage manufacturers’ knowledge of accelerating their innovation, Tate & Lyle hosted a few events throughout the three-day Food Expo:
1. Chef Science. Merging the art of food and science, Chef Justin Kanthak grilled great-tasting chicken skewers with Tate & Lyle’s Sweet Chili Sauce and Korean BBQ Sauce concepts for dips.
2. IFT Awards Ceremony. Recognized for ingenuity in innovation for PROMITOR™ Soluble Corn Fiber, Tate & Lyle received IFT’s prestigious Industrial Achievement Award. The award was accepted by Andy Hoffman, PhD, Director of Wellness Innovation at Tate & Lyle.
About Tate & Lyle
Tate & Lyle is a global provider of ingredients and solutions to the food, beverage and other industries, operating from over 30 production facilities around the world.
Tate & Lyle operates through two global business units, Specialty Food Ingredients and Bulk Ingredients, supported by Innovation and Commercial Development. The Group's strategy is to become the leading global provider of Specialty Food Ingredients through a disciplined focus on growth, and by driving the Bulk Ingredients business for sustained cash generation to fuel this growth.
Specialty Food Ingredients include starch-based speciality ingredients (corn-based speciality starches, sweeteners and fibres), no calorie sweeteners (including SPLENDA® Sucralose) and Food Systems which provides blended ingredient solutions. Bulk Ingredients include corn-based bulk sweeteners, industrial starches and fermentation products (primarily acidulants). The co-products from both divisions are primarily sold as animal feed.
Tate & Lyle is listed on the London Stock Exchange under the symbol TATE.L. American Depositary Receipts trade under TATYY. In the year to 31 March 2012, Tate & Lyle sales totaled £3.1 billion. http://www.tateandlyle.com.
SPLENDA® is a trademark of McNeil Nutritionals, LLC